Are you a digital nomad who does not need a physical office to carry out your work responsibilities and live 100% of your businesses or companies online? Read this post carefully because Spain has already announced what its new Visa for digital nomads is all about.
The Spanish government has already shaped what will be the Digital Nomad Visa for Spain. As part of the Start-Up Law, approved by the Spanish parliament this month, the visa program aims to attract international talent from outside the European Union.
This new visa will be intended for citizens who do not belong to the European Economic Area (EEA), which would include the British after Brexit, and will allow them to legally reside in the country for an initial period that is estimated to be between six months and one year, extendable up to five years.
The main goal of this visa is to regulate the figure of the digital nomad to attract interested parties to our country and promote technological development in Spain.
The Spain Digital Nomad Visa offers many benefits to remote workers. Some of the most important benefits include:
With this Digital Nomad visa you can obtain residence for a maximum of one year. According to the BOE, the international teleworking visa, aimed at digital nomads, authorizes its holders to reside in Spain for a maximum of one year, after which the option of requesting the visa is enabled. residence, which allows you to remain in the country for three more years. From that moment, said authorization is renewable every two years, being able to obtain permanent residence after five years.
Second, Digital nomads staying in Spain will benefit from significant tax breaks under the Startups Law, like paying non-resident income tax rates (IRNR) instead of resident income tax rates ( IRPF), which would mean that they would only have to pay taxes at a reduced rate of 15% on their personal income for a maximum period of four years instead of paying the average tax rate of 24%.
In addition, if the digital nomads decide to bring their relatives, the special tax regime will be extended to the applicant’s spouse and children under 25 years of age, or children of any age if they have disabilities.
It will also allow you to work for a company or client in Spain (not only abroad), as long as the income of this Spanish company does not exceed 20% of your total billing.
- The main requirement for the Spain Digital Nomad Visa program is that applicants must be foreigners working remotely, self-employed or employed by a non-Spanish company operating outside of Spain.
- Applicants must be employees of a non-Spanish company or have clients outside of Spain, and must present their employment contract.
- The remote worker must have worldwide income with a maximum of 20% obtained from Spanish companies.
- You must not have had resident status in Spain in the last five years prior to the application.
- You must have been working remotely for at least one year.
- Digital nomads must have a clean criminal record and not be previously banned from entering Spain.
- Have private health insurance coverage that is valid throughout Spain.
- You will have to fill in the corresponding application form.
- Pay the corresponding fee, in this case 790 038.
If you would like to receive personalized guidance and understand better how the process works step by step, just get in touch with our immigration lawyers, we will be happy to advise you!